Royal Museum (Istana Kenangan)
Previously known as Istana Kenangan, lstana Tepas and Istana lembah,
the Perak Royal Museum is an amazing achievement in architecture.
It was built without any architectural plans and without using a
single nail. Situated near the lstana lskandariah, the Sultan of
Perak's official palace at Kuala Kangsar.
It was planned and built in 1926 after the great floods of 1926.
Shaped like a sword, the entire palace was built without a blueprint
and not a single nail was used. The walls are made of woven sliced
bamboo, and patterned in diamond motifs called the 'kelarai'. The
roof is in the shape of the 5 ridges of a traditional Malay house
and the ridge of a row of bananas - known as 'perabung 5 and perabung
pisang sesikat'. The palace was completed in 1931 and set up as
a temporary residence for Sultan Iskandar Shah (1918 - 1938, the
30th Sultan of Perak) while the original royal palace or istana
negara was being torn down for the new Istana Iskandariah.
Open to public everyday from 9.30am - 5.00pm. Fridays closed from
12.15pm - 2.45pm for prayers.